Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Not so French toast


Eggy bread or french toast or I don't know what you want to call it. I like this stuff. I grew up eating it but never made it myself until now. I've been buying stoneground wholemeal bread so it is quite heavy and not incredibly absorbent. I wanted some form of baked dessert or sweet carbohydrate food and pancakes or crepes seemed like too much effort. So I beat an egg with milk, sugar and cinnamon. Put my bread slices in the toaster for a bit cuz they just came out of the freezer, then let them soak in the mixture. I only had four slices of bread but I dont think I had enough egg mix because I had to rub the last two against the dish to sponge up the remnants. Dropped some butter in a an and fried them up then layered them on a plate with icing sugar straight out of the box (who needs to dust when you can enjoy the little lumps of powdered sugar as they explode in your mouth?). It hit the spot. Sweet and moist, although I think I could have youse more liquids and gave the last two a better soaking. This is one variation of fried bread that I do enjoy very much. The other is karepan :) and donuts.

No comments: